The Magical Ingredient: Aquafaba
What makes our Savorease crackers so special? Aquafaba is a key ingredient in our crackers, making them vegan and gluten free. But do you know what aquafaba is?
Craving some scrumptious Chocolate Mousse? Or maybe a zesty Mayonnaise?
Well, we have good news for you. You can have them all in a healthy and vegan way.
How? With a high-protein, healthy ingredient that comes from one of our favorites: chickpeas. We’re talking about aquafaba.
What is Aquafaba?
Aquafaba is the liquid that comes with your chickpeas in the can. That’s it! And no, it’s not simply water. It’s a high-protein liquid that has the superpower to substitute eggs in your diet. So, if you follow a vegan diet, are allergic to eggs or simply want to give your diet a twist, Aquafaba is the ingredient for you.
Here’s a simple but effective way to substitute your eggs with Aquafaba:
- Entire Egg: 3 Tbs of Aquafaba
- Egg White: 2 Tbs of Aquafaba
- Egg Yolk: 1 Tbs of Aquafaba
This almost magical liquid can transform into a fluffy foam, just like egg whites do, with the help of a hand mixer.
Recipe: Chocolate Mousse
If you have a sweet tooth and crave the fluffiness of a mousse, we’ve got you covered! You’ll only need two ingredients (three if you want to add a tiny bit of sweetness).
1 cup of Aquafaba
1 cup of 85% Dark Chocolate
Optional: 1 ts of Honey
- Start by melting the Dark Chocolate in a bowl. You can do so on a very low fire in a pan or using a bowl in your microwave, minute by minute, checking that it never gets to boil.
- Once the chocolate is melted set it aside. Now take the Aquafaba and with the help of a mixer, whisk it until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add a tablespoon of the aquafaba mix into the warm (not hot anymore) chocolate, mix well.
- Continue adding one tablespoon of aquafaba at a time. So that the temperature doesn’t cook it.
- Once the texture becomes of your liking, you can stop adding aquafaba (there might be a bit leftover, don’t worry!). The more aquafaba, the more liquid it will become. You will be able to control it’s thickness by adding more or less aquafaba.
- Separate the mixture into small cups and set into the fridge for later enjoyment!!
Extra tip: If you’re not a fan of Chocolate you can substitute it for Strawberries.
- Take 1 cup of strawberries, clean them and remove the stem / leaves.
- Cut them in small pieces and add them to a microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave until they become kind of a jam. Let it cool down. Then use the mixer to make sure it becomes creamy without any lumps.
- Once cooled, add the aquafaba (remember, it must form stiff peaks), mix step by step until you reach the desired thickness.
- Set aside in small bowls or cups and enjoy cold!
Recipe: Vegan Mayonnaise
Mayo is one of the first sauces we all try as kids. And it’s a taste we all crave when we haven’t had it for some time. If you are allergic to eggs or follow a vegan diet, this Mayo will be perfect for you!
- ½ Cup of Aquafaba (room temperature)
- 3 ts of Lemon Juice
- 2 ts of Rice Vinegar
- ½ ts of Dijon Moustard
- ¾ Cup of Olive Oil
- ¾ Cup of Vegetable Oil (for example Avocado oil)
- Salt (to taste)
- Add the aquafaba to your mixer and have it on a medium-high speed until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add the lemon juice, the vinegar, the salt and the mustard and keep mixing at the same speed.
- Now lower the speed of the mixer and start adding the oils little by little until the mayonnaise is formed. Keep on adding oil until you reach your desired thickness.
Do you have any aquafaba recipes you’d like to share with us?
We’d love to hear about them!